State Central Committee Meeting Notes
December 4, 2010
Salt Lake Community College, Miller Campus
Prepared by: Arnold Gaunt
Chairman Dave Hansen will resign to manage Sen. Hatch’s reelection campaign, effective at the end of the next meeting. Vice Chair Kitty Dunn will also resign. Television news coverage was provided by Channel 5. Elections to fill the two positions to be vacated will occur at the next meeting on January 22nd.
Enid Mickelsen moved a resolution in support of Chairman Hansen’s service. Resolution passed.
Early Delegation Report
U.S. Senator elect Mike Lee spoke briefly prior to catching a plane.
Senate Republican Conference recently adopted a series of resolutions. The resolution addressing earmarks had the most discussion.
Constitution & Bylaws (C&B) Committee Report
Article X Amendment Empowering State Central Committee to Reject Party Constitutional Amendments Approved by the State Convention Delegates by a Two-Thirds Majority
- Arguments for: It is a self evident check & balance. State Central Committee (SCC) has continuity that convention delegates lack. The SCC is a better forum for detailed discussion of constitutional issues.
- Arguments against: The SCC should not have the power to silence the will of delegates expressed by two thirds or greater vote at Convention. Proponents are unable to provide any examples of actions by the Convention delegates that should be or should have been rejected by the SCC. Protection against rash actions by the Convention delegates is established by the two thirds requirement and experience. Grassroots delegates that have been asked about this change are opposed to it.
Roll call vote requested by Lisa Shepherd. Motion defeated.
First vote taken: 47 for, 26 against. Motion fails to get two thirds.Article XII Constitutional Amendment requiring web site disclosure of national, Utah, and county party rules.
Second vote taken: 50 for, 25 against. Amendment advances to State Convention for ratification.
Overwhelmingly defeated.Bylaw 1.3 Amendment removing provision establishing the C&B Committee as the “guardian of the Party Constitution & Bylaws.”
Overwhelmingly defeated.Bylaw 7.5G Platform Amendments and Resolutions and 7.5H Constitution, Bylaws, and Rules Amendments: Requires amendments and resolutions received by the Platform/Resolutions Committee to be forwarded to the Convention for consideration and creates a Rules Committee to administer and propose amendments to Convention Rules.
Don Larsen moved resolution addressing illegal immigration. A motion to postpone indefinitely consideration of the resolution was made and was passed by a large margin.
- Most issues at state level aren’t political
- Negotiations with Education for no cuts
- Utah has a stable tax and regulatory situation
- Utah is one of five states with an ordinary budget situation
- He continues to advocate allowing the Border Patrol access to National Parks and the like
- He has introduced an amendment that would allow states to veto federal legislation. It is about federalism, not states rights.
- 17 Democrats are incoming, all are from SL County except one
- Advice to Democrats: When riding a dead horse dismount, don’t call a veterinarian.
- Motion was made and approved thanking the Speaker for the past two years
- She is on RNC redistricting committee
- Approximately 35 state houses switched to Republican
- Informal poll of SCC members indicated almost unanimous support for a new direction in RNC, something that Enid supports
- The names of some RNC Chairmen candidates were mentioned
- Enid occupies a very important spot through her membership on redistricting committee
- RNC consisting of 168 members has two functions: Manage Party and conduct convention
- Steele hasn’t done a good job with major donors; they haven’t been asked to contribute
- No. 1 job of a Party Chairman is to ask for dollars
- Wisconsin State Party Chairman will announce his candidacy for RNC Chairman on Monday
- RNC Chairman and other officers will be elected in January, see http://brucehough.blogspot.com/2010/12/rnc-to-elect-new-officers-in-january.html for more information
- Bruce strongly supports replacement of RNC Treasurer
- A Utah Valley group is being formed
- Wish to get additional clubs started
- Dan Thatcher won a State Senate seat
Next meeting will be held Jan. 22.
Labels: State Central Committee